Madeira Coastline

Ponta do Sao Laurenco

I couldn’t wipe the goofy smile off of my face all day. We started the day hiking on the eastern-most tip of the island; a place called Ponta do Sao Lourenco.  It is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen.  We hiked along the cape to the tip of the island with dramatic cliffs and rock towers on all sides.  Although there was a nicely maintained stone path , Marko suggested that we hike off trail briefly to the highest point on the cape.  We were alone at the top and the view was spectacular!  While we were at the top, Marko disappeared around the corner and pulled out a diamond ring!   We’re engaged! I think our friends and family might have expect this, but I was truly surprised.  I actually thought  Marko was showing me something that he found on the ground.  You can see a photo of the two of us right after the “big moment” taken with Marko’s tripod.

After the  hike on the east coast, we drove to the north part of the island.  The road wound up and down rich green mountains that dropped dramatically down to the ocean. Houses with terracotta roofs were sprinkled in amongst the mountains.  When it was safe to pull over, we stopped to take photos along the road.  Marko got some nice photos of the town of Faial.

We found a wonderful little place with hiking trails called  Sao Jorge’s Calhau. This is one of the many places where the waterfalls and rivers from the green mountains meet up with the ocean.  At the start of the hiking trail, we discovered some old stone ruins. We later found out that they are remnants of a primitive sugar cane mill.  As we walked along a wide path on the cliff side,  we watched the waves crash against the cliffs and beach below.  We also spent some time on the stony beach by the ruins listening to the sound of the rocks tumbling as the ocean sucked the water back for another mighty wave.   I can honestly say that they were probably the biggest breaking waves I’ve ever seen.

43 Responses

• Marko says:

Thanks Michael! I had the ring in my pocket since we landed and was waiting for the right time. Though when I looked at pictures of Madeira, I felt like this peninsula would be a good spot.

1. Bernard Burton says:

Congrats to you both!!! I was beginning to wonder how long I was going to have to wait for one of my nieces to get hitched… Have a great adventure in Portugal — I expect to see a Champagne bottle at some point!!

2. Janice says:

Awesome awesome ,exiting and totally amazing news Amelie and Marko !! We are so Very excited and Happy for you both !! What a way to start your vacation ! A very big CONGRATS !! And a Very MERRY CHRISTMAS !!! Hugs xoxox and enjoy !!

3. Sonal says:

Congrats!!!!!! Marko n Amelie….We ( Jignesh & Sonal ) are so happy and excited for you both. You both compliment each other and make an awesome couple :).

4. Rose says:

Wow Oh Wow, what a special proposal-great timing Marko and the atmosphere is so fitting and the world beneath your wings.. Congratulations to you both. ‘Now down to business -it’s about time lol We are so very please for both of you. A beautiful couple. Wishing you both the very best. Have a wonderful time in Portugal, a Very Merry Christmas and I am sure a Very Wonderful New Year. Luv ya both xoxoxox Auntie Rose & Gordon.

5. Jimmy says:

Congratulations Marko!! 🙂 So Happy for you :), what a moment it must have been! And a Picture before hand? haha Marko knows how to savior a moment 😀

The Pictures and the Ring are so beautiful, your trips always makes me want to go explore the world!. Keep the blog and pictures coming!

• Marko says:

Thanks Jimmy! It was a very fun few moments. The picture was after, but I thought it would be fun to hide the engagement in this post to see who is reading it. 🙂

6. David says:

Again – congrats! Very happy for you guys, that’s great Marko was able to make it a surprise…and at such an amazing place!

As Jimmy said, keep the blog and pics coming, it’s a real pleasure to be able to follow your trip and see a little chunk of what you see.

Você é bilíngüe ainda?

7. Monica says:

Marko & Amelie,
    It is a real pleasure to be able to follow your blog and see the wonderful sights that you are enjoying in Protugal. Marko, the pictures are amazing as always and Amelie I really enjoy your writing. You complement each other so well!
    Thanks for sharing your special time with all of us and we look forward to more until you get back to Calgary safely.
    Have fun!

8. Oxboard says:

Even so, depending on the protocols involved with inbreed nomenclature, where you can find several choice labels to obtain a solo class, that identity earliest widely used takes objective.

9. hoverboards says:

Even as it might not be your elixir of youth, it does last above twelve months, additionally, the benefits will leave you actually feeling and looking small once more…

10. Oxboard says:

Retooling now employed pool:Will be your business feeling hardships to find innovative employees to help you occupy receptive jobs? Certainly its possible it time for them to look at onthejob schooling.

11. Loan companies adrenalin is without a doubt moving and you simply impose the actual mound you may be expected to try to a few glass pitcher a fantastic lickin.Haya Youk should chuck any strike.

12. CameronX says:

I see your blog needs some fresh articles. Writing manually takes a lot of time, but there is tool for this boring
    task, search in google: murgrabia’s tools